When it comes to changing your life, it can seem like it will take years before you actually see substantial changes. You might feel like giving up before you even get started.
For example, you take the same route to work daily so you don’t even think about it anymore. You no longer appreciate the scenery because you are operating on auto pilot. A change in routine will wake you up mentally causing you to be more aware and appreciative of your surroundings.
Some tips to help change your life for the better:
- Take a new route to work
- Eat a meal outside of the “normal” time (i.e. eat breakfast at dinner time)
- Change your exercise routine
- Wake up later or earlier
- Change your routines around the house
The point of this exercise is to realize that we become so comfortable with our current habits that we fail to realize that there is more to life. We learn to settle for the familiar rather than embrace the changes needed to make our lives better. The best time to start making any change is the present moment.
By putting on a costume of sorts, you can create a new, more powerful you. If you feel that what you currently have in your closet will not do the trick, it’s time to start thinking of new ways to coordinate what you have available. You can do simple things such as wearing a crazy pair of socks under your classic business suit, choosing larger earrings or a silly necktie. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, try to incorporate that into your outfit today.
Here are some other ideas:
- Wear a skirt instead of pants (ladies, of course)
- Try a different shirt with a suit – one that you’ve never paired together before
- Wear a scarf to accessorize
- Wear a different piece of jewelry
- Talk to the cashier at the coffee shop
- Call a friend
- Meet up with your partner outside of the house
- Go for a walk outside
These simple ideas can help create the realization that other individuals have the same goal as you. In fact, establishing a connection with someone with similar goals can help you achieve your own by providing encouragement, support, and accountability. Reach out to someone today, it may prove to be the single most important life changing act for you.
- Do not define yourself by what you can accomplish
- Create a to-do list in order of priorities
- Set the bar lower
- Recognize that what you need from the job and what your boss needs from the job are completely different
- Try to establish a consistent work schedule
- Leave work at work
- Realize that work is a tool
When we’re changing ourselves, we often forget how others have stood by us when we weren’t in the best of places in our lives. Instead of taking this support system for granted, today is a great time to thank the people that you love. While it sounds a little corny, just going around to people and thanking them for their support and their understanding can start to solidify the changes that you want to make. You are, in a sense, creating a new life by apologizing for the old life and moving forward.